Friday, October 14, 2011

EFT for Constricted Breathing

EFT for Constricted Breathing by Kathy Atkinson, EFTCert-I

Noticing if you have constricted breathing is one of the easiest ways to determine the level of stress and tension you are carrying in your body. Treating constricted breathing with EFT tapping is one of the easiest ways to release the stress and tension from your body.

Try out this tapping session and see how it works for you.

Here are the steps…
First, inhale 2 or 3 maximum deep breaths. Take your time and don't hyperventilate. This step will stretch out your lungs so that any EFT improvement in your breathing cannot be attributed to a normal "stretching effect" of your lungs.

*Use common sense here. Don’t do anything to hurt or damage yourself and don't use this session if you have serious lung issues.

Once you have stretched your lungs as far as they will go then take another deep breath.

This time assess the deepness of your breath on a 0-10 scale where 10 is your estimate of your maximum capacity. Numbers typically vary from 3 to 9 on this.

Take the first number that comes up for you. The occasional person who rates their breath at a 10 may find that after the tapping, they will go to a 12 or 15.

Before going through the tapping sequences you might want to ask yourself these questions:
What does this constricted breathing remind me of?
Who does this constricted breathing remind me of?
What in my life is constricting me right now?
When in the past have I felt constricted? If there was an emotion connected to my constricted breathing, what might it be?

Jot down any significant information that comes to mind.

The questions aren’t necessary, but can often lead to new awareness that you didn’t have access to previously. Certainly use the questions if you don’t experience a significant shift in the depth of your breathing.

Now go through the following rounds of the EFT tapping. If you new to tapping and need a visual of where the meridian tapping points are located visit http://www.eft-downloads.com/Tapping%20Points.asp.



First EFT sequence for Constricted Breathing

Begin tapping on the karate chop point and say out loud…

Even though I have this constricted breathing, I deeply and completely love and accept myself.

Even though I have this constricted breathing, I deeply and completely love and forgive myself for anything I am doing to contribute to this constricted breathing.

Even though I have this constricted breathing, I choose to relax my body and allow more air to flow into my lungs.

Even though something is limiting my breathing, I give my body permission to relax and let go of this constriction and limitation.

Eyebrow: This constricted breathing – I am ready to let it go.

Outside eye: This constriction that prevents me from breathing deeply. It is time to let it go.

Under eye: This limitation that prevents me from breathing deeply. I am letting it go now.

Under nose: I am ready to relax and release this constriction.

Chin: I am ready to relax and let more air to flow into my lungs.

Collarbone: It feels good to relax and breathe deeper now.

Under arm: It feels good to allow more life-giving oxygen to fill my lungs.

Top of head: From this moment on, I allow more air to flow into my body and into my lungs.

Stop tapping. Take a deep breath in, and release it out.

Access the depth of your next breathe again on a scale from 0-10.  If you still feel some constriction, continue with the next tapping sequence.

 Second EFT sequence for Constricted Breathing

Begin tapping on the karate chop point and say out loud…

Even though I still have some of this constricted breathing, I do feel myself relaxing and letting go of some of this constriction.

Even though I am still constricting my breathing, I deeply and completely love and accept myself.

Even though I am still feeling some tension and tightness in my chest and it’s constricting my breathing, I am willing to relax and allow my body to breathe deeply now.

Eyebrow: This remaining constricted breathing - I release it now.

Outside eye: I am probably limiting and constricting myself in other ways.

Under eye: I release any limits and restrictions I have placed on myself.

Under nose: I release any tension and tightness I feel in my chest and feel in my life.

Chin: Any remaining constricted breathing - I release it now.

Collarbone: It feels good to relax and allow more air to flow into my lungs.

Under arm: It feels good to breathe deeply and evenly now.

Top of head: I honor myself for taking the time to relax deeply so I can breathe deeply.

Stop tapping. Take a deep breath in, and release it out.

Access the depth of your next breathe on a scale from 0-10. If you still feel some constriction, see if you can identify any issues contributing to your constricted breathing. Tap on those issues specifically or just repeat the tapping sequences holding your focus on a specific issue.

The vast majority of people notice a significant difference in the depth of their breathing using EFT tapping to release the tension and tightness in their chest area.

Please share your experience using this EFT session.

2 comments:

Robert Smith said...

Very nice EFT tapping session it shows how it work and its really effective on your body. Its tested already from other practitioner.

Angelo Marsico said...

Very powerful, thank you!